GPG seems broken on FC13 after upgrade.

Chris Ruff jcruff at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 00:09:13 CEST 2010

On 06/01/2010 06:49 PM, Perry, James J. wrote:
> I just updated to FC 13 and not gpg fails to work for any user.  I get
> the following messages when I try to decrypt a file and have the DISPLAY
> set even though I am not using X.
>

> gpg --pgp6 EDI997.20100601091546.pgp
>

> You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
>
> user: “xyz”
>
> 2048-bit ELG key, ID …
>

> can't connect to `/root/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent': No such file or directory
>
> gpg-agent[24444]: command get_passphrase failed: Operation cancelled
>
> gpg: cancelled by user
>
> gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit ELG key, ID …
>
> gpg: public key decryption failed: General error
>
> gpg: decryption failed: No secret key
>

> This happens when I have a DISPLAY variable set.  Without it I get a bad
> looking curses interface image like below:
>
>    lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk
>
>    x Please enter the passphrase to unlock the secret key for the OpenPGP  x
>
>    x certificate:                                                          x
>
>    x "xyz"                                                            x
>
>    x 2048-bit ELG key, ID …                                        x
>
>    x created 2010-05-30 (main key ID …).                            x
>
>    x                                                                       x
>
>    x                                                                       x
>
>    x Passphrase __________________________________________________________ x
>
>    x                                                                       x
>
>    x          <OK>                                         <Cancel>        x
>
>    mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj
>

> This was not how it worked when I used it prior to upgrading to FC13.  I
> do not want all the pretty stuff and I need it to prompt for a password
> on the command line like it did prior to the used of pinentry-qt or
> pinentry-curses.  What do I need to fix?  I spent 4 hours digging around
> to just find that if I had a DISPLAY variable set but no X-Server
> running on my MS Win box, it would not even work.  Users of GPG here on
> Linux will not understand that issue so I will need to keep it running
> as it did before, but no manuals I found seemed to indicate how to
> correct it.
>

>   Thanks!
>
>    -Jim

I'm not sure if this is your exact problem but on my openSuSE 11.2
system Seahorse really made a mess of things.  Try running your
gpg-agent the old fashion way and export the variables.  I'm
initializing mine in .xinitrc with an eval statement and relevant
arguments b/c seahorse doesn't seem to work correctly with scdaemon.

--
Chris Ruff
email: jcruff at gmail.com
gpg key: 0x0621F585