verifying hashes with Gnupg

vedaal at nym.hush.com vedaal at nym.hush.com
Wed Jul 21 16:52:03 CEST 2010

MFPA expires2010 at ymail.com wrote on
Wed Jul 21 01:49:01 CEST 2010 :

>> Why would you want to use gnupg for this if md5sum,
>> sha1sum, sha256sum, etc. are available for most
>> systems?

>Maybe he wanted to check if an app he already installed would
perform
>this function before downloading another app to do it?

Much simpler reason ;-(

windows command line doesn't recognize it (without cygwin)

C:\>sha1sum v:\t1.sha1
'SHA1SUM' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

(There is an open source gui for windows written in VB that hashes
and verifies,
[pthasher by Karen Kenworthy  http://www.karenware.com]
still, I thought it might be done in gnupg with one of the 'cool
undocumented' commands, but couldn't find it using gpg --dump-
options

vedaal