Can't open PGP file with Gnupg

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Jul 26 17:08:07 CEST 2010

On Jul 20, 2010, at 4:48 PM, Cooperider, Brian wrote:

> I’m having an issue opening a file sent to us. They are using pgp commend line version 6.5. We are using GnuPG 2.0.12. When we try to open the file we get the message File contained no openPGdata. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I'm happy to take a look at a file to see what exactly is wrong if you're willing/able to send me one.  I'd need the key to decrypt it, so either encrypt the test message to my key (99242560), or make a new key for the purpose.

Most likely the problem you are having is that PGP version 6.5 is beyond antique at this point.  You might try adding the "--pgp6" flag to your gpg invocation, which enables some workarounds for various PGP 6-isms, but basically the problem is that PGP 6.5 predates the standard that GnuPG follows.

David