Can't open PGP file with Gnupg

Cooperider, Brian Brian.Cooperider at RelayHealth.com
Mon Jul 26 17:13:48 CEST 2010

I should be able to send you a test file tomorrow. We will try adding
that flag as well.

Brian Cooperider
IT Operations
Relay Health
8720 Orion Place, Suite 300
Columbus, OH 43240
614-396-4511
614-885-0033 Fax
http://www.relayhealth.com

-----Original Message-----
From: David Shaw [mailto:dshaw at jabberwocky.com]
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2010 11:08 AM
To: Cooperider, Brian
Cc: gnupg-users at gnupg.org; Brian Cooperider
Subject: Re: Can't open PGP file with Gnupg

On Jul 20, 2010, at 4:48 PM, Cooperider, Brian wrote:

> I'm having an issue opening a file sent to us. They are using pgp
commend line version 6.5. We are using GnuPG 2.0.12. When we try to open
the file we get the message File contained no openPGdata. Any help you
can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I'm happy to take a look at a file to see what exactly is wrong if
you're willing/able to send me one.  I'd need the key to decrypt it, so
either encrypt the test message to my key (99242560), or make a new key
for the purpose.

Most likely the problem you are having is that PGP version 6.5 is beyond
antique at this point.  You might try adding the "--pgp6" flag to your
gpg invocation, which enables some workarounds for various PGP 6-isms,
but basically the problem is that PGP 6.5 predates the standard that
GnuPG follows.

David