...key belongs to ...

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Jun 1 01:18:04 CEST 2010

On 05/29/2010 08:47 PM, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2010, Michael D. Berger wrote:
>> Now in the context in which this is being used, there is no
>> uncertainty regarding key ownership, and the encryption is
>> part of a bash script.  The query stops the script.
>>
>> Therefore, how can I prevent this query?
>
> Edit the trust of the key, and or sign it with a trust signature.

Please do not follow Dan Mahoney's suggestion here :/

The prompt you're trying to address is about fixing gpg's perceived
calculated validity of the key, *not* about how much you trust the owner
to make proper certifications.   Trust signatures or edited ownertrust
should not be used to adjust the validity of a single key's user ID,
since an adjustment like that will have other unintended consequences
(e.g. the holder of the key whose ownertrust is elevated will now be
able to fool you into thinking that other key+uid combinations are
actually valid).

	--dkg