GPG seems broken on FC13 after upgrade.

Perry, James J. jjperry at water.com
Wed Jun 2 00:49:49 CEST 2010

I just updated to FC 13 and not gpg fails to work for any user.  I get
the following messages when I try to decrypt a file and have the DISPLAY
set even though I am not using X.

gpg --pgp6 EDI997.20100601091546.pgp

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for

user: "xyz"

2048-bit ELG key, ID ...

can't connect to `/root/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent': No such file or directory

gpg-agent[24444]: command get_passphrase failed: Operation cancelled

gpg: cancelled by user

gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit ELG key, ID ...

gpg: public key decryption failed: General error

gpg: decryption failed: No secret key

This happens when I have a DISPLAY variable set.  Without it I get a bad
looking curses interface image like below:

lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

   x Please enter the passphrase to unlock the secret key for the
OpenPGP  x

   x certificate:

   x "xyz"                                                            x

   x 2048-bit ELG key, ID ...                                        x

   x created 2010-05-30 (main key ID ...).                            x

   x Passphrase
__________________________________________________________ x

   x          <OK>                                         <Cancel>

mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

This was not how it worked when I used it prior to upgrading to FC13.  I
do not want all the pretty stuff and I need it to prompt for a password
on the command line like it did prior to the used of pinentry-qt or
pinentry-curses.  What do I need to fix?  I spent 4 hours digging around
to just find that if I had a DISPLAY variable set but no X-Server
running on my MS Win box, it would not even work.  Users of GPG here on
Linux will not understand that issue so I will need to keep it running
as it did before, but no manuals I found seemed to indicate how to
correct it.

  Thanks!

   -Jim