Keyserver spam example

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Thu Jun 10 16:00:18 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

Periodically there is a discussion on this list about whether having your key on a keyserver will result in more spam.  My feeling on this is that you might get more spam, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the usual onslaught that streams in daily.

That being said, I just got my first piece of spam that was definitely caused by presence on a keyserver:

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Stephen Lee" <stephenhka at ymail.com>
> Date: May 26, 2010 2:17:27 AM EDT
> To: dshaw at jabberwocky.com
> Subject: enquiry : wwwkeys.ch.pgp.net:11371
>

> We found your contact Email address from wwwkeys.ch.pgp.net:11371
> My name is Stephen and I come from China, Hong Kong.

(spam contents snipped - it goes on to offer to sell me LCD screens for my "retail store, shop, boutique or any public area")

David