Test mail to gnupg.user at seibercom.net

Jerry gnupg.user at seibercom.net
Fri Jun 11 17:36:34 CEST 2010

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 08:14:29 -0400
Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8 at verizon.net> articulated:

> Jerry wrote (in part):
>

> > Which reminds me; there is a request at the end of every post I
> > make. Would it be to much of an imposition for you to honor that
> > request?
> >
> > Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or get ignored.
> > Please do not ignore the Reply-To header.
>

> I looked at the headers, and there is no Reply-To header in the
> e-mail I received from the list. An entire page of headers, but not
> that one.
>
> Even if Reply-To was a header, it would be too much to honor it
> unless my e-mailer honored it automatically (perhaps it does).
> Because some lists to which I subscribe automatically reply to the
> lists, and some automatically reply to the original sender, and I
> cannot remember which is which. I know asking any particular list to
> change is not worth the trouble; each list has its own policy and
> unwilling to change. I try to remember which is which. It is
> sometimes suggested to hit Reply-All, but this results in the
> original poster's getting two replies. I particularly hate this
> method as I then reply to which ever one I get first, usually direct
> to the author, thinking he wants a private reply since he sent it to
> me privately. Then a little later I get one from the list, and it is
> usually too much trouble to send another reply to the list. I wish
> all lists were set up so a reply to a message from the list went back
> to the list, but there is no point asking that from a list that does
> things another way.

Evidently, the list manager employed here strips off any "Reply-To:"
header and then fails to replace it with one that points to the list.
Fortunately, not all mailing lists are configured in a similar manner.

Fortunately, using claws-mail, I am able to circumvent that problem (in
most cases). I would assume that other MUAs would have a similar
configuration option.

--
Jerry
GNUPG.user at seibercom.net

That's always the way when you discover
something new; everyone thinks you're crazy.

	Evelyn E. Smith