Can we use GNUPG with PGP for commercial use

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Jun 17 19:00:21 CEST 2010

On 06/17/2010 12:45 PM, Joke de Buhr wrote:
> Unlike PGP GnuPG is a non-commercial tool. There is no warranty. You can't sue
> anyone if GnuPG does not do what it's supposed to do.

If your goal is to be able to sue someone over proprietary software, i
strongly advise you to read the relevant EULA first:

 http://www.pgp.com/products/eula.html

section 9 in particular is illuminating about the scope and duration of
whatever minimal warranty you get from having purchased a license.

> If you need commercial support and liability stick to PGP and pay for it.

If you need commercial support, there is no reason to avoid free
software.  Several companies offer commercial support for GnuPG:

  http://www.gnupg.org/service.en.html

Please don't spread the false idea that only proprietary software is
available with commercial support.

Regards,

	--dkg