Can we use GNUPG with PGP for commercial use

Joke de Buhr joke at seiken.de
Thu Jun 17 19:51:38 CEST 2010

On Thursday 17 June 2010 19:00:21 Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On 06/17/2010 12:45 PM, Joke de Buhr wrote:
> > Unlike PGP GnuPG is a non-commercial tool. There is no warranty. You
> > can't sue anyone if GnuPG does not do what it's supposed to do.
>
> If your goal is to be able to sue someone over proprietary software, i
> strongly advise you to read the relevant EULA first:
>
>  http://www.pgp.com/products/eula.html
>
> section 9 in particular is illuminating about the scope and duration of
> whatever minimal warranty you get from having purchased a license.

As far as I remember the software needs to do mostly what it's supposed to do.
It should do at least some kind of encryption and start without segfaulting.
And advertised features need to be included and working.

In Germany some court ruled what certain parts of EULAs do not even apply.
And if you're legal region is the USA there might be a possibility you can sue
PGP if the color of their icons is to bright and you get blinded.

Nevertheless legal departments of companies like to work with over companies
just to pretend there is someone who can be sued. And project managers like
know what support hotline to phone if something went wrong.