Can we use GNUPG with PGP for commercial use

David Smith Dave.Smith at st.com
Thu Jun 17 18:15:23 CEST 2010

Gorugantu, Prakash wrote:
> Our project has a requirement where we need to pull a file using PGP
> encryption/decryption from one of our clients ftp servers. Please let us
> know if we can use GNUPG to encrypt/decrypt files with PGP.  We read
> somewhere in your licensing agreement that GNUPG for PGP is only for
> non-commercial use and we have to purchase it from PGP Corp. if we have
> to use it.

GnuPG and PGP are different tools.

PGP is a commercial tool, although some versions of it are free for
non-commercial use.

GnuPG is a FOSS (Free, Open Source Software) tool released under the GNU
General Public License (GPL), and it can therefore be used
free-of-charge for both commercial and non-commercial use.

GnuPG and PGP are generally compatible with each other (i.e. a file
encrypted with PGP can be decrypted with GnuPG and vice-versa), as they
both work to a publicly-defined standard.

HTH & HAND.