AUTO: Richard Hamilton is out of the office (returning 06/24/2010)

David Smith Dave.Smith at st.com
Fri Jun 18 15:24:05 CEST 2010

Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> David Smith wrote:
>> Mailing lists programs normally send mails with the "Precedence: bulk"
>> or "Precedence: junk" header, and then the autoresponder should
>> recognise this and choose not to respond to mails with the "bulk" or
>> "junk" precedence header.  It is up to the autoresponder to act correctly.
>>
> Well, the stuff I get from the Gnupg-users at gnupg.org list has
> "precedence: list" set. Other lists to which I subscribe use "Precedence
>  normal" or "precedence: bulk". Regular e-mail does not have precedence
> set at all. It seems to me that mailing lists should get their acts
> together.

OK, Maybe "Precedence: list" is also a valid implementation; I haven't
looked in detail at the RFQs, etc. - I was just typing from memory.  The
basic method of operation is the same, though - the MLM marks the
message as a mailing list message using the "Precedence" header, and the
autoresponder interprets this header when deciding whether to respond.