how to suppress warning about gpg-agent?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Mar 9 09:02:46 CET 2010

On Mon,  8 Mar 2010 13:22, powerman at powerman.name said:

> I don't think so. Every project encrypt it backups with different
> passwords (needed for security), and right now I can keep just several
> dozens of passwords, but with public keys I'll need to keep several dozens
> of .gnupg directories instead, which is harder to manage.

You would use the same keyring for all users.  The option --homedir
might be useful for this.

> I wonder what is physical sense of this number? Is it safe to hardcode one
> number for all user accounts on same server (many servers)?

It is a kind of iteration count for the passpharse; i.e. how often to
hash the passphrase.  This is to mitigate dictionary attacks.   A fixed
value is fine.

> P.S. But I still think much more clear solution is just add option to
> suppress warning message and let gpg start own copy of gpg-agent when it

We could use --quiet to suppress this warning.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner