AUTO: Richard Hamilton is out of the office (returning 03/22/2010)

eggled at gmail.com eggled at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 14:01:50 CET 2010

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 08:49:46AM -0400, Jerry wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 11:17:03 +0000
> Brad Rogers <brad at fineby.me.uk> articulated:
>
> >On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:44:38 -0400
> >"Robert J. Hansen" <rjh at sixdemonbag.org> wrote:
> >
> >Hello Robert,
> >
> >> half-dozen of us calling this guy's workplace and getting him in
> >> trouble just because he had a braino when he left on vacation.
> >
> >It'd serve him right.  Unless his employer pays him to read the list.
>
> Scenario 1:
>
> He is the boss, therefore no harm is done.
>
> Scenario 2:
>
> He is not the boss; however, he is permitted to use company time on
> private projects. Again, no harm is done.
>
> Scenario 3:
>
> He is not the boss, nor is he allowed to waste company time on private
> projects. In this scenario, the company gains by outing an employee who
> is wasting company resources and time on private projects.
>
> No matter how you look at it, it is a "Win Win" situation.
>
> --
> Jerry
> gesbbb at yahoo.com
>
> Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or get ignored.
> Please do not ignore the Reply-To header.

I don't think "Win-Win" means what you think it means.  At best for him,
no harm is done. At worst, he gets a reprimand or gets in trouble.

I happen to be an employee (not a boss), who is not expressly permitted
to use company time on private projects. As it turns out, though, my job
is right now requiring me to do some research about gnupg. (Just a
scenario you left out)

And, all that is completely irrelevant. Contacting his coworkers for
help will make extra work for several people, removing his auto-reminder
(probably a helpdesk ticket, etc.).  OR, the moderators can just click
"remove" next to his name and send an email informing him of the
situation on his return.  5 minutes, which is about what anybody would
spend explaining the situation to the his coworkers to effect a solution
that, at best, is "No harm done".