Secure unattended decryption

eggled at gmail.com eggled at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 13:41:25 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 06:48:52PM -0400, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> On 3/19/2010 5:36 PM, FederalHill wrote:
> > Are there refernces where such procedures are detailed that I might look at?
>
> http://scholar.google.com
>
> Check for "encrypted database rekeying".

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but all I see are patents and research
projects ongoing at IBM.  That tells me that nobody has solved this
problem sufficiently.  When you use a block cipher on billions of
blocks, there is no way to rekey the database without decrypting and
re-encrypting all those blocks. If you've solved it, why don't you go
talk to IBM or Sun - they'd be very interested to hear how to quickly
rekey a block-encrypted file spanning multiple terabytes. There might be
some money in it for you.