Secure unattended decryption

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat Mar 20 16:12:00 CET 2010

On Mar 20, 2010, at 10:00 AM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> On 3/20/2010 8:41 AM, eggled at gmail.com wrote:
>> Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but all I see are patents and research
>> projects ongoing at IBM.
>
> You're doing it wrong.  Keep searching.  I know there's at least one
> paper readily findable in Google Scholar that tells you exactly how
> BitLocker does it.
>
> Most academics are incredibly vain types.  If an academic tells you that
> he or she knows a paper exists, odds are good that's because he or she
> either wrote it or contributed to it in a significant way.  Given this,
> you might want to try doing a Google Scholar search on '"Robert J.
> Hansen" encryption'.  Once you find a paper name and an author, try
> Googling on that and see if the paper author doesn't have a free version
> up available for download.
>
> Basic research is a skill worth learning.  Good luck!

Being helpful on mailing lists is similarly a skill worth learning.  If there is a particular paper you want to point to, give the cite.  Why make someone guess that you were referring to yourself, then search for the paper you carefully didn't mention the title of, then try and find a free-to-download version - and then scold them for not succeeding?  This isn't a puzzle game.

For the archives, the paper in question is "Implementing BitLocker Drive Encryption for Forensic Analysis".  You can download it at http://jessekornblum.com/publications/di09.html

David