Encrypted Directory

Michael D. Berger m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Thu May 27 15:02:00 CEST 2010

On Thu, 27 May 2010 12:34:34 +0200, Joke de Buhr wrote:

> On Thursday 27 May 2010 00:08:41 Michael D. Berger wrote:

>> > If you're talking about a 'live' directory, one that you're editing,
>> > you're probably better off using something like truecrypt or luks
>> > (with FreeOTFE on windows) to create an encrypted partition.
>> >
>> > If you're talking about a static directory, just zip it up and
>> > encrypt normally.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Actually I have both situations and also something in between -- a
>> directory I want to store on the external drive is too large to allow
>> its zip file to coexist on the main disk.  To zip and encrypt it I
>> would have to first have unencrypted data on the external drive --
>> clearly a bad idea.
>>
>> Also, AFAICT, truecrypt, luks, FreeOTFE do not have public key
>> encryption, which I would prefer.
>
> Why would you prefer public key encryption? Are you planning on letting
> other people add files to that directory?

[...]

It is similar to using the the public key with ssh.  The public
key is on the server (the hard drive in this case) and those with
client access (a CD mounted on my WinXP box, but usually kept in
a safe) have the secret key.  Once you are "logged in", encrypted
access continues transparently.  That way, the external drive can
safely be taken on travels, which is what we intend to do.

Mike.