Encrypted Directory

Grant Olson kgo at grant-olson.net
Thu May 27 16:15:46 CEST 2010

On 5/27/10 10:03 AM, Michael D. Berger wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 12:42:00 -0400, Grant Olson wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> If you're talking about a static directory, just zip it up and encrypt
>> normally.
>
> [...]
>
> I tried to zip a 90G directory tree, but it failed on a bad file
> name -- something in a bookmarks directory, I think, but it
> doesn't make any difference what it is.  Zip will not do.
>
> Since I have a Samba connection from a Linux box to the WinXP
> box, I tried
>    tar -cvzf
> on the 90G directory on the WinXP box.  It seemed to work ok.
> After about half-an-hour, it had done about 6G.  That's ok,
> but then I remembered I had reliability issues moving large
> files via Samba, so I stopped it and abandoned that idea.

I was using zip generically.  But I think pkzip aka winzip aka not-gzip
only accepts ascii filenames.

I still think you're better off using some sort of encrypted filesystem.
 You can't get public key encryption, but you can setup two-factor
encryption, where someone can't login unless they have both a passphrase
and a key-file or smart-card or something like that that has been
authorized by the admin.