GPG on Windows 7?

Charly Avital shavital at mac.com
Wed Nov 17 10:37:32 CET 2010

Bo Berglund wrote the following on 11/17/10 1:33 AM:
> Is it possible to use GPG on Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit)?

I am running Gpg4win 2.0.4 on a desktop Acer Inspire, under Windows 7
Home Premium 64bits.

For test only. I am a Macintosh user, the Acer (incredible machine) is a
present from the family.

> We have kept using Gpg4Win 1.1.4 for some time since when we tried the
> version 2.0.0 it killed certain functions on our PC:s (I think for
> instance Outlook went haywire).

Outlook (Office 2007) recognizes gpg 2.0.14, but the interaction, IMO,
is unreliable.

For an example, Outlook strips in-line signed messages of what it calls
"extra line-returns" (?), therefore invalidating the signature.

Encrypted and signed messages are processed correctly.

I have still to text interaction with Thunderbird+Enigmail.

> But now our IT person says GPG does not work on Windows 7, so what is
> the final verdict here?

I am far, far from being an IT person. I am just an empirical end-user

> We use GPGee for encrypting files since we cannot use Outlook email
> encryption, so we need this to work in the Explorer for Windows 7 too.
>
> Or is there a  new version that can handle the Outlook emails
> properly? Note: we do not want to change into only using plain text
> emails.

Generally speaking, if you want to use *also* HTML emails with
encryption, you are headed for trouble, but that's your choice.

If I get more meaningful results of my tests, I shall update you.

Best regards,
Charly
MacOS 10.6.5-MacBook Intel C2Duo 2GHz-GnuPG 1.4.11-MacGPG 2.0.16
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.12)
Gecko/20101027 Thunderbird/3.1.6 - Running Enigmail version 1.1.2
(20100629-1412)