GPG on Windows 7?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Nov 17 17:46:18 CET 2010

On 11/17/2010 11:15 AM, Charly Avital wrote:
> Interesting. Can you please document? Thanks.

As near as I can tell, there is no basis for the claim "inline PGP is
deprecated."

It is deprecated in the minds of some people, but that's not the same as
it being deprecated.  RFC3156 (which most people cite when talking about
inline PGP being deprecated) has been out of date for quite some time
and is not all that compatible with RFC4880.

For instance, from RFC3156, "OpenPGP signed data":

    "Currently defined values are 'pgp-md5', 'pgp-sha1',
     'pgp-ripemd160', 'pgp-md2', 'pgp-tiger192', and
     'pgp-haval-5-160'."

Strict RFC3156 conformance means the only two GnuPG hashes you can use
are SHA-1 and RIPEMD-160, neither of which has strong long-term
prospects.  This, alone, should be enough for us to say RFC3156 should
not be considered normative of PGP usage.

Speaking only for myself, I consider RFC4880 normative, and RFC3156
obsolescent.

>From the original poster:
>> In any case, Outlook 2007 is deprecated also.

It most definitely is /not/ deprecated.  According to Microsoft [1], it
will not enter end-of-life until 2012.

[1] http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&x=11&y=10&p1=11335

>> Windows 7 (32) or (64) bit? I have heard of problems with GPG not
>> working correctly with the 64 bit system due to problems with the GPG
>> libraries not being true 64 bit.

Never seen it happen myself, and I find it unlikely.  Win 7/64 offers a
complete set of 32-bit libraries.