Gpg4Win 2.0.4 with GnuPG 1.4.11??

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 23:35:34 CET 2010

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 07:43:20 -0500, Jerry <gnupg.user at seibercom.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 13:03:39 +0100
>Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at gmail.com> articulated:
>
>> And I used the WinZip support form to enter two issues, but there is
>> absolutely no response! No good support in my view.
>
>Interesting!
>
>1) Are you a registered user of WinZIP; i.e. user of the commercial
>version.

Yes I am, that is why I keep getting the emails offering special deals
on upgrades all the time...

>2) How long did you wait to receive a response? On a non critical
>problem, and this was clearly not critical since you did get the
>application installed, 6 -10 days is reasonable. I have submitted
>reports to KDE and waited months without any resolution, but that is
>another topic. In any case, since this is a holiday season in the USA,
>I would reasonably expect a longer period of time on non critical
>problems.

Well, I'd say it was not more than a few days...

>3) Were you attempting to run the self extractor as a privileged user?
>I have seen the process die with other self extracting files in similar
>cases, although they do usually give some sort of warning message.
>Unfortunately, that message window is often behind the main window and
>the user never checks for it. simple dismissing the main application
>closes the secondary windows thereby leaving the end user clusless as
>to the problem.

I don't remember now if UAC popped up the acceptance window or not.
But I definitely did not right click and select "Run as
administrator".

>4) I assume you did check the system log files. What error message(s)
>were entered?

No, I did not. Didn't even occur to me that this would be something
one could do.

>Do you still have a copy of that self-extracting file that you were
>unable to execute. Could you please send it to me. I would like to try
>it on one of my systems and see what transpires. The one I downloaded
>from the WinZIP site worked fine here.

The W7 machine is in the office. It is a new laptop I received in
September after my old XP laptop died. It has W7x64 and I am still
trying to get used to te differences. Have had a hard time to tweak it
into behaving at least similar to my old XP systems...
The download is still there....
I could check if the one available directly on their website is the
same, though.

Is your email a real one? (gnupg.user at seibercom.net) Seems a bit odd.

>One last thing, did you check your SPAM folder. GMail is notorious for
>screwing up non-spam mail. I have heard of numerous occasions where
>notices from WinZIP get stuck in there until listed the. A simple
>"*@winzip.com" should work.

Well, I don't use GMail except for things like mail lists and the
like.
The request was directed towards my "real" email account.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden