What's the best way to test a long list of passphrases?

Will McDonald will at cs.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 7 17:28:38 CEST 2010

Hi,
I have a GPG key to which I've forgotten the passphrase. That is, I remember
the mnemonic I used, but not the particular set of l33tspeak substitutions
and punctuation used, and guessing hasn't worked. It's a ~26 character
passphrase, and since I know the options I might have used I was able to
write a perl script to generate the 30,000 or so possible permutations that
I might have used.

Given that, what's the best way for me to test my 30,000 possible
passphrases? I'd prefer to ask gnupg directly via some API (I'm fine writing
a small C program if I know the relevant functions to use) rather than
trying to script around the text ui (and it's 1-second delay after input).

Any suggestions?

-will