Seahorse

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Oct 11 16:32:21 CEST 2010

On 10/8/2010 10:16 AM, Mark H. Wood wrote:
> If you ever decide to promote that alternate interface, the approach I
> would try is to sneak it in by actually making it an alternative

This is one of the things we were specifically warned against in HCI.
Give people two interfaces and the new interface will never supplant the
old.  When new users encounter problems and ask for help, the first
thing the old-timer will do is say, "well, first, go back to the old
interface, that's the one I know the best."  The newcomer will do so and
won't switch back afterwards, both out of a spirit of "all the experts
use the old interface" and "nobody can help me with this new interface,
so I'd better use the old."

If you want people to use a new interface, you have to start by getting
rid of the old... and the PGP 5.0-style UI is simply never going to be
gotten rid of.

Kind of sad, really.