Encrytped email attachments

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Mon Oct 11 17:04:16 CEST 2010

On 11/10/10 8:56 PM, sunegtheoverlord wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to encrypt email attachments with GnuPG? I've read you have
> to install some extra libraries but i don't know what i'm supposed to be
> doing?
>
> any help would be appreciated.

Messages sent in OpenPGP/MIME format (with content type set to
"multipart/encrypted" and "application/pgp-encrypted") encrypt the
attachments automatically.  Messages sent with the body of the message
encrypted with ASCII armouring inline will not.

Most email clients which support OpenPGP/GPG either natively or via a
plug-in do the former automatically.  I use Thunderbird with Enigmail
and it will encrypt an attachment to an encrypted email without any
additional configuration or installation of libraries.

Regards,
Ben

--
Ben McGinnes  http://www.adversary.org/  Twitter: benmcginnes
    Systems Administrator, Writer, ICT Consultant