Paranoid People's User Group?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu Oct 14 06:54:25 CEST 2010

On 10/13/2010 8:57 PM, Dan Cowsill wrote:
> Almost-but-not-quite my first post to this list.  I am very
> interested in encryption technologies, and PGP in particular.

Welcome to the community!  As a minor cultural note, PGP is a
proprietary software product put out by PGP Corporation.  GnuPG is a
compatible product available under a free/open-source license.  The two
software products each conform to what is called the OpenPGP Standard
(RFC4880).

If you're interested in PGP in particular, I'd suggest the PGP Forums or
PGP-Basics over at Yahoo! Groups.  For GnuPG and/or OpenPGP, though,
you're definitely in the right place.  :)

> Of course, this is only a hobby and I don't have any trade secrets or
> international intrigues to protect, so that leaves me at a bit of a
> disadvantage when it comes to playing around with such a fascinating
> piece of technology.

Quite the opposite!  It gives you an enormous advantage.  People who
have high-value secrets have to make very conservative choices about
what they do and how they do it.  If you don't have anything that
absolutely must remain secret, that gives you the freedom to experiment
and do crazy things and learn from what happens, without needing to
worry about your secrets getting published in the _New York Times_.

> What I'm after is a mailing list or user group that exchanges
> encrypted communications with each other.

PGPNET.  They're a rather welcoming group, all told.