Confirmation for cached passphrases useful?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Oct 14 16:18:47 CEST 2010

On 10/13/2010 07:02 PM, MFPA wrote:
> The user can type their password once per session into a text file and
> paste it every time it is requested. This reduces the annoyance factor
> and does not train the user to constantly re-type the passphrase.

This strikes me as the worst suggestion on this thread so far.  Please,
do not store the passphrase to your secret key in the clear in a file on
your computer, and do not suggest that other people do so.  That's even
worse than writing it on a post-it note and taping it to your monitor.

Passphrases are your last line of defense against a compromise of your
secret key material.

	--dkg