scdaemon loses connection when I unplug/replug a crypto-stick

Grant Olson kgo at grant-olson.net
Wed Sep 8 01:21:56 CEST 2010

I'm on OSX Snow Leopord, the latest version of MacGPG2.

When I remove my cryptostick and plug it back in, scdaemon doesn't see
it anymore.  This causes gpg-agent to complain that it can't find a
smart-card.  If I manually lookup the PID for scdaemon and give it a
"kill -9" things work again.

I imagine that the cryptostick is a little unique in this regard.  Most
people would have a reader that's more permanently attached, but with
the crypto-stick, the reader is integrated with the card.

Anyone know of an easy way for me to fix this?

--
Grant

"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."