Hi

Jerry gnupg.user at seibercom.net
Fri Apr 1 14:15:44 CEST 2011

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 21:34:14 -0600
Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce at gmail.com> articulated:

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 07:25:20PM -0400, Jerry wrote:
> > On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 15:41:57 -0600
> > Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce at gmail.com> articulated:
> > > http://passwordcard.org will fix that. :)
> >
> > Dumping GShit would have been my first choice.
>
> Not sure what your problem is. His account got hacked, likely due to
> a poor password, so I recommended a solution to a better password. In
> fact, passwordcard.org can be applied to anything that needs
> passwords, including the passphrase for your GPG key. It's randomly
> generated using a secure PRNG, and the randomness in the chosen
> password from the card guarantees enough entropy to secure your
> account against brute force attacks, provided the length is
> sufficient.

I think you are misunderstanding what I am inferring. For starters,
that is the 5th account that I have heard or known of that was hacked
in March alone. I am sure that the total is far higher based on a simple
statistical accounting of the number of accounts using GMail. Happy
Rob :)

Personally, I consider Google's web e-mail application grossly
insecure. I further do not trust them for one millisecond to not be
scanning documents passing through their server(s). It would not
surprise me a bit to find out that one of their employees is actively
distributing confidential information on its subscribers.

While I do not claim that any of the other large web based operations
such as Yahoo or Hotmail are immune to problems; I honestly do not
believe that they actively engage nefarious acts to the degree of GMail.

Just my own personal opinion. I did once have a GMail account and am
fully aware of what I am implying, something that has been referenced
by others.

By the way Rob, and I mean nothing personal, my reference to GMail as
GShit is fully in accordance with the how Microsoft has its registered
name distorted into something entirely different on virtually every
FOSS forum I have ever read. Google, in my opinion, is worse than
Microsoft in many respects. If we are free to slander one entity by
creating an aberration of its name, then certainly that right extends
to all similar entities. I was certainly not attempting to offend you
personally.

Just my 2¢.

--
Jerry ✌