keys not available for signed messages in this maillist

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri Apr 8 17:23:16 CEST 2011

On 4/8/11 10:25 AM, Bernhard Kleine wrote:
> i wonder whether the keys from several members of this maillist should
> be available from the keyserver. e.g. Grant Olson signs all his messages
> here. evolution and gpg on ubuntu, however, fail to retrieve the public
> key from the server:

"Should" is maybe the wrong word to use.  I've never seen "should" mean
anything other than, "I want" or "I expect."  The universe doesn't much
care about what we want or expect, though.  Justice should prevail and
the sun should rise in the east: but I don't think for a second either
of those "shoulds" means much.  :)

Still, let's try this instead: "why are so many certificates not
available on the keyserver network?"

One answer is, the certificate owners might not want their certificates
on the keyserver network.  Some people much prefer to give their
certificates via biglumber, or person to person, or... etc.

We may agree or disagree with their reasons, but the decision is theirs
to make: we just have to respect it.  :)