keys not available for signed messages in this maillist

John Clizbe John at enigmail.net
Fri Apr 8 20:19:32 CEST 2011

John Clizbe wrote:
> Bernhard Kleine wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i wonder whether the keys from several members of this maillist should
>> be available from the keyserver. e.g. Grant Olson signs all his messages
>> here. evolution and gpg on ubuntu, however, fail to retrieve the public
>> key from the server:

>> My question now is, why are those subkeys not retrieved?

> You may wish^W^W need to check your keyserver configuration. It obviously has a
> problem.

You most likely need to configure gpg to automatically retrieve needed keys.
It's not handled directly by Evolution. From
http://live.gnome.org/Evolution/FAQ#How_can_import_GPG_keys_automatically_from_within_Evolution.3F

> How can import GPG keys automatically from within Evolution?
>
> If you receive a signed GPG/PGP message from someone and you do not yet
> have his public key in your GPG/PGP keyring. You can make GPG automatically
> download and add unknown GPG/PGP keys of received messages by adding the
> following two lines to the file $HOME/.gnupg/gpg.conf:
>
>     keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
>
>     keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve
>
> The actual link (URI) to the keyserver is only one example and may be
> different - you can also choose other servers.

Many recommend pool.sks-keyservers.net. It's regularly updated to reflect
up-to-date online servers and distributes the load of serving keys over more of
the SKS network. There are several pools you may choose.
See http://www.sks-keyservers.net/overview-of-pools.php for more information.

There are additional options for the keyserver-options line. I recommend adding
' include-subkeys include-revoked import-clean'. See the gpg man page.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:   John (a) Enigmail DAWT net
FSF Assoc #995 / FSFE Fellow #1797  hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or