No, it is not.

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu Apr 28 16:22:09 CEST 2011

On 4/28/11 9:40 AM, Johan Wevers wrote:
>> Likewise, if I were married I would have a serious need for privacy in
>> my communications with my wife: but my wife's identity would be part of
>> the public record.
>
> Not when you're having an affair.

Err -- yes.  Even if I'm having an affair, my wife's identity is part of
the public record.  Even if I'm having an affair I need confidentiality
of communications with my wife, but not confidentiality of my wife's
identity.

(ObReminder: the preceding is a hypothetical.  I am neither married nor
having an affair.)

The point being discussed is whether most people who need
confidentiality in their messages also need confidentiality in the
identities of their correspondents.  I believe the evidence is lacking
for this claim.  There are certainly instances in which confidentiality
of identity is important, but I never claimed otherwise: only that it
seems dubious to me that *most* people who need confidentiality of
messages also need confidentiality of identity.