No, it is not.

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 28 15:40:54 CEST 2011

On 28-04-2011 14:49, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> Likewise, if I were married I would have a serious need for privacy in
> my communications with my wife: but my wife's identity would be part of
> the public record.

Not when you're having an affair.

> Likewise, when I place an order from Amazon I only want my credit card
> number to be secured.  I really don't care if someone knows that I'm
> buying from them: they could discover that just from getting access to
> my credit card purchase history anyway.

However, I remember here a cese when a chemistry teacher got problems
with the police because he ordered some books about explosives. You
might be carefull who gets to see what you read.

> The list goes on and on.  I doubt that most people who need
> confidentiality in their communications also need confidentiality in
> with whom they are communicating.

I'm not so sure. Especially for human rights activists in, say, Syrie or
Tibet, might not want the government to know when they are mailing with
foreign journalists.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Johan Wevers