Card only available to root user

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Fri Aug 5 10:59:28 CEST 2011

On 05/08/11 03:02, Luis de Bethencourt wrote:
> device in debian:
> crw-rw-r--+ 1 root root 189, 516 2011-08-05 00:46 /dev/bus/usb/005/005
>
> device in gentoo:
> crw-rw-r-- 1 root pcscd 189, 395 Aug  5 02:56 /dev/bus/usb/004/012
>
> my user is part of the pcscd group. I just checked.

Look closely at the permissions for Debian. It has a plus-sign. This means there
is an ACL. Probably ConsoleKit is adding you to the ACL when you log in.

You can get the ACL with getfacl. Here is the output from my box:

peter at tweek:~$ getfacl /dev/bus/usb/008/004
# file: dev/bus/usb/008/004
# owner: root
# group: pcscd
user::rw-
user:peter:rw-
group::rw-
mask::rw-
other::r--

Note how user peter has read/write as well.

However, I've been fighting with access rights to the cardreader as well, so
please don't take this as correct. In fact, the whole pcscd group business
stopped working for me at some point, oddly enough. Some Debian update
conflicted with my own tinkering in udev.

Peter.

My key is available at http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~lebbing/pubkey.txt