Card only available to root user

Luis de Bethencourt luis at debethencourt.com
Sat Aug 6 19:50:54 CEST 2011

On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 10:59:28AM +0200, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> On 05/08/11 03:02, Luis de Bethencourt wrote:
> > device in debian:
> > crw-rw-r--+ 1 root root 189, 516 2011-08-05 00:46 /dev/bus/usb/005/005
> >
> > device in gentoo:
> > crw-rw-r-- 1 root pcscd 189, 395 Aug  5 02:56 /dev/bus/usb/004/012
> >
> > my user is part of the pcscd group. I just checked.
>
> Look closely at the permissions for Debian. It has a plus-sign. This means there
> is an ACL. Probably ConsoleKit is adding you to the ACL when you log in.
>
> You can get the ACL with getfacl. Here is the output from my box:
>
> peter at tweek:~$ getfacl /dev/bus/usb/008/004
> getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
> # file: dev/bus/usb/008/004
> # owner: root
> # group: pcscd
> user::rw-
> user:peter:rw-
> group::rw-
> mask::rw-
> other::r--
>
> Note how user peter has read/write as well.
>
> However, I've been fighting with access rights to the cardreader as well, so
> please don't take this as correct. In fact, the whole pcscd group business
> stopped working for me at some point, oddly enough. Some Debian update
> conflicted with my own tinkering in udev.
>
> Peter.
>
> --
> I use the GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG) in combination with Enigmail.
> You can send me encrypted mail if you want some privacy.
> My key is available at http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~lebbing/pubkey.txt

Thanks for that information! I agree with you that if could also have a similar
ACL in my gentoo machine it would work. Where is this set?

Unfortunately I don't have access to the debian machine until next week, I'm at
the Desktop Summit in Berlin. Ohh... if anyone is around I would be happy to
meet them and sign their key :)

Thanks,
Luis