Trying to convert from PGP on XP to a GUI on Win 7

MarshallAbrams MarshallAbrams at comcast.net
Mon Aug 22 00:10:50 CEST 2011

I've been using PGP 8.1 under Windows XP, but have to find a new GUI to use
under Windows 7. I found Gpg4win and figured out how to import my keyrings
bu changing the extension to gpg.  I was able to decrypt a previously
encrypted file using gpg2.exe. There didn't seem to be a GUI.  Reading thru
the manual, I see that there is supposed to be an extension/plug-in on the
Windows Explorer menu for GpgEX, but I don't see it.  What should I do?

I also found Cryptophane 0.7.0.  It has a GUI that is very remincent of PGP
8.1.  It seems to interface with the keyrings already imported, but I can't
use it to encrypt a file.  Although I signed the public key (and the program
shows that it has been signed), when I try to encrypt and/or sign a file, it
complains that the key is not signed.  Again, what should I do?

I'd be happy getting either program to work, or to use another program.
Recommendations appreciated. Also, what is recommended to replace the secure
erase in PGP?