keyserver spam

Jerome Baum jerome at jeromebaum.com
Mon Dec 19 10:31:31 CET 2011

On 2011-12-18 23:40, MFPA wrote:
>> So are
>> certification policies that say (or don't say but
>> enforce anyway) that you must have an email on your
>> UID. Why refuse to certify _less_ information?
>
> Why indeed. My government won't issue a passport that doesn't include
> my date of birth. These days I can't even get a driving licence that
> doesn't show my date of birth. What does a date of birth have to do
> with my competence to drive between now and my licence's expiry date,
> or with my ability to travel across borders?

My understanding is that name + DoB + place of birth together are
unique. Sometimes. In theory.

But name + email aren't even unique then -- which is why some hosts like
Google now refuse to re-register an expired email address, so that you
can't receive emails for the previous owner. But again, not everyone
does it and policies as well as domain ownership can also change.

Wasn't there a nice paper on that problem (naming) linked to from this
list maybe a month or two ago? Or maybe it was referenced in the STEED
paper?

Was definitely an interesting read.

--
PGP: A0E4 B2D4 94E6 20EE 85BA E45B 63E4 2BD8 C58C 753A
PGP: 2C23 EBFF DF1A 840D 2351 F5F5 F25B A03F 2152 36DA