Who is doing S/MIME enveloping in KMail - gnupg2 or KMail?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Dec 21 20:41:55 CET 2011

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 16:48, nsushkin at sushkins.net said:
> Hi, I think there is a bug in the way KMail is doing S/Mime envelop for signed
> but not encrypted messages. I'd like to follow through, but I am not sure if
> it's gnupg or KMail, which is the proper forum. Does anyone (Werner) know by
> any chance?

It must be a KMail problem.  I know that it used to work very nicely all
the years since we started the S/MIME support about 10 years ago.  Thus
I assume there is a regression in KMail.  I don't have a current version
running here for a quick test.

GnuPG (i.e. gpgsm) does not know anything about S/MIME - it merely
creates data according to the CMS encryption/signing standard.  GPGME
(the library between KMail and GnuPG) also has no knowledge about
S/MIME.  KMail is responsible to pack that into a MIME structure.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner