GPG (MingW32) defaults to revoked key/uid

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Feb 15 17:26:53 CET 2011

On 02/14/2011 09:59 AM, M. Henry wrote:
> Now, when I use gpg to look up a key by any part of a uid (for example when using --edit-
> key), it automatically selects the first-created _revoked_ key, not the sole non-revoked one. I
> have tried revoking and deleting specific uids from the revoked keys, but this makes no
> difference.

I think this discussion is relevant to your question:

 http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2009-September/037376.html

which resulted in the following bug report:

 https://bugs.g10code.com/gnupg/issue1143

Your best bet is to remove the old keys from your keyring entirely, so
that your preferred key is the first one in the output of gpg
--list-keys (if they get re-imported later, they'll show up later in the
list).

i agree, this is a suboptimal situation, i'm just sharing the
workarounds that i've found.

	--dkg