ld.so.1: gpg: fatal: libusb.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory

Jason Harris jharris at widomaker.com
Wed Feb 16 16:56:55 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 12:48:15AM -0500, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> On 2/15/11 11:25 PM, Jason Harris wrote:
> > Geez, doesn't anybody READ anymore?!  Even _I_ just managed to read:
>
> Some of us read quite well: others less so.

So true.  You complained about seeing the ldd output, yet it was
actually the next relevant information required for diagnosing
this problem.

> > So, it is in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH quoted above, and therefore
> > IT IS ON THE SYSTEM, right?
>
> When a system isn't working, it pays to be very cautious about making
> assumptions about what's broken and what's working.  There's a big

I read and understood what was provided.  The ldd output indicates
that the OP did the test and found the file with ldd but not when
actually invoking gpg.  Sometimes LD_LIBRARY_PATH is ignored for
security reasons, right?  But don't believe me, try the following
on FreeBSD:

  %man ldconfig
  [snip]
SECURITY
     Special care must be taken when loading shared libraries into the address
     space of set-user-Id programs.  Whenever such a program is run by any
     user except the owner of the program, the dynamic linker will only load
     shared libraries from the hints file.  In particular, the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
     is not used to search for libraries.  Thus, the role of ldconfig is dual.
     In addition to building a set of hints for quick lookup, it also serves
     to specify the trusted collection of directories from which shared
     objects can be safely loaded.

> difference between saying "it might be this, and here's a test we can do
> to see if it is," and saying "IT IS ON THE SYSTEM!" -- unless you've
> done more checking, you really shouldn't say it this confidently.

ldd(1) was that (next, required) test, believe it or not.

That gpg just started miraculously loading for the OP usually means
that ldconfig(1) was [re-]run (as root, and for whatever reason) and
found the .so.1 in question.  Most likely, this step failed during
the initial install.

--
Jason Harris           |  PGP:  This _is_ PGP-signed, isn't it?
jharris at widomaker.com _|_ Got photons? (TM), (C) 2004