PGP/MIME considered harmful for mobile

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Sun Feb 27 05:28:53 CET 2011

On 02/26/2011 18:53, Ben McGinnes wrote:
> On 27/02/11 1:24 PM, Jameson Rollins wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 21:02:08 -0500, Avi<avi.wiki at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Why? Inline is simple and effective. I'm curious as to why you
>>> feel MIME is so much better.
>>
>> http://josefsson.org/inline-openpgp-considered-harmful.html
>
> Thanks for the link.
>
> I'd only add that in-line is fine for encrypting messages since all
> the data in-line signing may whinge about (e.g. some UTF-8 characters)
> would be safely tucked away inside the encrypted block.

If you look at the characteristics of the actual messages encrypted mail
is very similar whether it's in-line or MIME. It's signed messages that
make things interesting because the signature in a MIME message is
actually (sort of) an attachment but also sort of not, which is why it
confuses simple mail readers like Outlook Express.

Doug

			-- OK Go