PGP/MIME considered harmful for mobile

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Feb 28 00:03:04 CET 2011

On 02/27/2011 11:36, Werner Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I once hoped the discussion about MIME vs. crufty inline signatures has
> been settled a long time ago.

I love/admire your optimism. :)

> Today that even Microsoft Outlook handles
> it correctly for more than 7 years, the new excuse seems to be some
> buggy new mail applications.

[...]

There is still a large installed base of MUAs that don't handle PGP/MIME
properly, such as Outlook Express. So ...

> Please go an fix these buggy mail applications.

... is a totally unrealistic way to view the world.

There are valid use cases for both types of signatures, hoping that one
or the other will go away is equally unrealistic. :)

Doug

			-- OK Go