PGP/MIME considered harmful for mobile

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Feb 28 02:31:06 CET 2011

> PGP/MIME (rfc2015, 1996) is not required to display signed MOSS mails.
> We should expect that 1847 has been implemented in any MIME aware MUA;
> in particular as it seems that S/MIME, which is also based on MOSS, does
> work.

"Should" usually just means "I want."  The world should be a just place and freedom should prevail: I want the world to be a just place and I want freedom to prevail.  We should expect MIME to be correctly implemented in MUAs: we want MIME to be correctly implemented in MUAs.

It's a great sentiment, one I happen to agree with: but it is not the world we live in.  Broken and buggy MIME implementations are a fact of life, and I think it is worth mentioning that, "the default mail app on a Verizon Droid X running Android 2.2 has broken MIME support."