Default GPG Encryption Algorithm (symmetric cipher) is?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sun Jan 2 06:46:45 CET 2011

On 1/1/2011 11:24 PM, frankexchange at nospammail.net wrote:
> Does anyone know exactly which default symmetric Cipher (Encryption
> Algorithm) is used by GPG? Apparently it is CAST-128, but I cannot find
> any citation online that confirms this is the case for the version of
> GPG integrated into Ubuntu 10.04 LTS OS.

Forgive what may seem like a silly answer, but "whatever you told GnuPG
to use as a default."  If you want CAST5-128, 3DES, AES256 or whatever,
just add:

default-cipher-preferences [algo name]

... to your ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf file.

To get a list of algorithm names, type "gpg --version" at a command line.