Default GPG Encryption Algorithm (symmetric cipher) is?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sun Jan 2 09:21:32 CET 2011

On 1/2/2011 1:14 AM, frankexchange at nospammail.net wrote:
> Use of the term "default" was provided to mean the one GPG uses without
> any user intervention IE: Default

And the answer here is exactly what I said: whatever you tell it to be.

Computers are complex beasts.  Two installations of the same operating
system will be very similar in some ways and very different in others.
For some kinds of software, you can get away with saying "the default
is...".  Security-related software is different: assuming that your
installation is just like somebody else's installation is dangerous.  If
something's important to you, then you need to take steps to take direct
control of it.

But, since you're asking: by default it's CAST5-128.  Don't depend on
this.  This is what's true on my Ubuntu 10.04 LTS system: it may not be
the same for yours.