Having trouble getting GPG to accept input from a pinpad

Paul Richard Ramer free10pro at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 12:11:24 CET 2011

Hi,

I am using an OpenPGP v2 card with an SCM SPR-532 smartcard reader, and
I can't get GPG to take a PIN from the pinpad instead of the keyboard.
When I run "gpg --card-edit" followed by any command that requires a PIN
or Admin PIN, I get a password dialog box from pinentry, but I can only
enter the PIN via a keyboard.

I have followed the GnuPG Smartcard HOWTO, including setting up the udev
rules and creating and adding my user account to the scard group.
According to this post at
<http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2010-November/039845.html>, using
the pinpad of my card reader should work (except when it doesn't ;-)).

I don't have pcsc-lite installed.  I am using GnuPG 1.4.10 (but also
have GnuPG 2.0.14 installed) and am running it on top of Ubuntu 10.04.
The versions of GnuPG that I have are what was available through my
package manager.

-Paul

--
PGP Key ID: 0x3DB6D884
PGP Fingerprint: EBA7 88B3 6D98 2D4A E045  A9F7 C7C6 6ADF 3DB6 D884