Encryting both file contents and file name with GnuPG

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Sun Jan 2 14:32:09 CET 2011

Hi,
Reference:

Neil Phillips wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm completely new to GnuPG.
> Can someone tell me how I can encrypt the name of the file that I want to
> encrypt please.
>
> Example:
> mySecrets.txt [a plain text file]
>
> I would like:
> szstt.asd [some 'apparently random name' file] [file contents encrypted]
>
> I see that secureZip can do this, I have used a trial version with success.
>
> However I would prefer to use GnuPG if possible.
>
> Neil

I wouldnt have thought to look for that in GPG, try
	man gpg
	info gnupg

Maybe you should look at using an encrypting file system.

Some unixes have/ had eg CFS (maybe mount -r cfs ? guessing, try eg
	man mount
	apropos cfs

More specifically:
http://www.freebsd.org supports 2:
	man gbde
		gbde -- operation and management utility for Geom Based Disk Encryption
	man 	geli
     		geli -- control utility for cryptographic GEOM class

Doubtless Linux can offer crypting file systems too.
Try
	apropos encrypt

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
	Mail plain text;  Not quoted-printable, or HTML or base 64.