Encryting both file contents and file name with GnuPG

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sun Jan 2 16:08:51 CET 2011

On Jan 2, 2011, at 7:37 AM, Neil Phillips wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm completely new to GnuPG.
> Can someone tell me how I can encrypt the name of the file that I want to
> encrypt please.
>
> Example:
> mySecrets.txt [a plain text file]
>
> I would like:
> szstt.asd [some 'apparently random name' file] [file contents encrypted]

GPG can use whatever filename you like.  For example:

  gpg --output szstt.asd --encrypt ....... etc.

Note that GPG does save the original ("mySecrets.txt" in your example) filename inside the encrypted bundle.  It does not, however, use it when decrypting later.  See the --use-embedded-filename option if you want to use that, but read the caveats in the man page about that option.

David