Organizing GPA public key list into favourites groups????

Paul Richard Ramer free10pro at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 12:30:23 CET 2011

On 01/11/2011 02:12 PM, Bo Berglund wrote:
> What I did next was to locate the gpg.conf file in AppData in my
> profile (I am running Windows7 X64).
> Here I found a text part where it looked like one could add a group
> specification.
>
> So I went ahead and added this line:
> group developers = 0xDBC3175B 0x9209B308 0x8A51A0EE

The entry you made is syntactically correct.

> If I use GPA to encrypt a file, what happens is exactly like before, I
> get the unwieldy (not even sorted by name) list of recipients public
> keys to select from and nowhere at all is there any sight of my
> developers group! :-(

Try clicking on the heading "User Name".  That will make GPA sort by
name rather than key ID.

> Is there some other application that can be used to encrypt a file
> with GPG which actually works in Windows 7 X64 and also shows the
> group?

I don't know, I don't use Windows.  But check out the list of frontends
for GnuPG at <http://gnupg.org/related_software/frontends.en.htm>.

> Finally, is it possible to have more than one group in GPG?
> If so what is the syntax in the conf file?
> Can there be more than one line starting with group?

Yes, you can have more than one group in GPG, and each group entry
begins with "group some_name=some_identifier" (without the quotation
marks, of course).  The GPG man page gives the following explanation:

--group name=value1
       Sets up a named group, which is similar to aliases in email pro‐
       grams. Any time the group name is a recipient (-r or --recipi‐
       ent), it will be expanded to the values specified. Multiple
       groups with the same name are automatically merged into a single
       group.

       The values are key IDs or fingerprints, but any key description
       is accepted. Note that a value with spaces in it will be treated
       as two different values. Note also there is only one level of
       expansion --- you cannot make an group that points to another
       group. When used from the command line, it may be necessary to
       quote the argument to this option to prevent the shell from
       treating it as multiple arguments.

Cheers,

-Paul

--
Please use my PGP key when sending me e-mail, if you can.

PGP Key ID: 0x3DB6D884
PGP Fingerprint: EBA7 88B3 6D98 2D4A E045  A9F7 C7C6 6ADF 3DB6 D884