gpg command output language???

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 10:19:38 CET 2011

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 00:47:36 -0800, Paul Richard Ramer
<free10pro at gmail.com> wrote:

>On 01/15/2011 11:34 PM, Bo Berglund wrote:
>> It beats me why a program like gpg should detect the keyboard type and
>> change its language like this, language setting should be a volontary
>> change by the user always! Just think how good it would be for an
>> English speaking user to try and use a PC that happened to be set for
>> say a Slovenian keyboard. Not possible to understand the output,
>> right?
>>
>> So how can I change gpg such that it sends its responses in English
>> only? I have checked gpg.conf, but there is no language setting there.
>
>The GPG man page gives the following information:

How do you locate the "GPG man page"??

>  Operation is further controlled by a few environment variables:
>  [...]
>
>  LANGUAGE
>         Apart from its use by GNU, it is used in the W32 version to
>         override the language selection done through the Registry. If
>         used and set to a valid and available language name (langid),
>         the file with the translation is loaded from
>         gpgdir/gnupg.nls/langid.mo. Here gpgdir is the directory out of
>         which the gpg binary has been loaded. If it can't be loaded the
>         Registry is tried and as last resort the native Windows locale
>         system is used.

Sounds like a very strange way to do this, an environment variable
that is not even named with reference to GPG can affect all
applications on the PC....
A more appropriate way would have been to have this entered in the
conf file or at least named GPG_LANGUAGE instead of the generic name
it now has...

Additionally: What am I supposed to enter as "langid" in such an
environment variable? "ENGLISH", "EN", "409" or what?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden