SmartCard Import/Export

Grant Olson kgo at grant-olson.net
Thu Jan 27 01:58:12 CET 2011

On 1/26/11 4:03 PM, David Tomaschik wrote:
> Anyone in the US ever order the OpenPGP smartcards from Kernel
> Concepts?  I'm wondering if there are any customs issues I should be
> aware of.  I'm thinking of trying to get a few people together around
> here to do a bulk order to cut shipping costs, etc., but wanted to know
> if I was going to end up with any import taxes/customs trouble.

I just got a card and reader from them.  They did everything by the
book.  There was a customs declaration on the outside of the box.  They
even had an FCC clearance for the reader inside the box just in case
customs decided to open it up.  (They didn't.)

Meanwhile, when I ordered a crypto-stick from the GPF I'm pretty sure it
just showed up in a yellow envelope with a hand-written address.  I
don't think it had any customs declaration or anything.  And that showed
up just fine as well.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

--
Grant

"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."